Sunday, March 19, 2006

Weekend Update

I went for my long run on Friday, and managed to stick it out for 2.82 miles! It was tough though, as my butt muscles were already making their presence known after having incorporated some lunges into my routine two days before. I could almost picture my piriformis muscle—hot, swollen, and tapping on my right sciatic nerve like a bad knock-knock joke, sending shooting pains down my right leg.

The teen on the treadmill next to me didn’t help the situation either as he apparently went for a swim in cheap cologne. He showed up around mile one, and the cologne was so strong that I could almost taste it! Fortunately, he went on his smelly way ten minutes later. It was almost worse than having a runner next to you fart. I mean, that’s the last thing you want to be smelling when you’re already breathing hard, but at least that smell drifts away! Fortunately, I have only been the victims of one-time bombings—I don’t know what I would do if the offender had multiple emissions!

----------




On Saturday, I went hiking with a friend. The trail was new to us, and steeper than we had expected. It was somewhat humbling that we were only keeping up with the elderly gentleman in front of us, who was using a golf club upside-down as a walking stick. (It was an iron, too. I would have thought a driver would have made for a more comfortable handle!)

After our hike, we ate at a nearby Greek restaurant which was a treat because I usually only go there with another of my friends who is lactose-intolerant. If you have never had Saganaki (AKA Greek Flaming Cheese), I highly recommend it.

After lunch, we went to the movies where my friend and I actually ended up walking out of a
movie. I have never done that before, but it was so horrible that we left after about 15 minutes, and I would say that the two of us are generally pretty hard to offend. I don’t watch television at all. (Not because I have better things to do, but because there’s no cable in my room, and the main TV in our house is constantly occupied by children’s programming.) However, this was the last time that I go to a movie because a friend likes the lead actor and, “Well, he kind of looks like a pirate again.”

Instead, we ended up seeing a silly romantic-comedy. It put me in a better mood, but between the hiking in the sun and the enduring of previews/commercials for over an hour, I was pretty exhausted!

----------

This morning, I was awakened by loud screams from the baby—the one who rarely ever cries. Apparently, he had fallen off my friends’ bed onto the carpet. By the time that they brought him to me, he was already giggling. After a quick trauma survey for deformities and reproducible pain, everything appeared to be in order.

I am in this awkward transition right now from being just a medical student to becoming a physician. Sometimes I know what to do, and sometimes I default to, “I really think you need to see a doctor.” People are starting to take me more seriously, and while in some respects that’s cool, it is also terrifying!

It was not quite the way I like to start my Sundays, but good morning to you, too!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Great entry, Kate. You had me laughing so hard about the "hit and run" on the treadmills! Good gosh that was hilarious.

The appetizer dish sounds excellent. I will have to see if the Kalamata Cafe that just opened up has it.

The movie sounds......well, like crap. Don't think I'll be going to see it:)

I think if you weren't a bit nervous about stepping in to the full role of being a physician, then you would either be foolish or not taking your responsibilities seriously enough.

Great entry all around!

Chris
My Blog

Anonymous said...

You know my mom gave me the same advice that Chris gave you--there's a certain amount of self-doubt that is healthy: it keeps you from thinking that you know it all. Although I've been a teacher for almost 4 years now, I still have those moments where I feel lost or incapable of being in charge. They come and go, but they keep me humble.

Kate said...

I just get scared, because it seems like the more that I learn, the more I realize that I don't know. And of course, in the meantime, I manage to forget the few topics that I felt comfortable with.

Anonymous said...

Your going to with me to
see the 2nd pirates movie!!!

:) R