Saturday, March 11, 2006

Out of Focus

Today was my day for a long run, but I was having a hard time getting into any kind of stride. Right now I am exclusively doing treadmill running, but I like to be able to look out a window and focus on trees or clouds in the distance. I guess it makes me feel like I am actually going somewhere. Unfortunately, there are only a few treadmills at my gym that face the windows. Rather than waiting, I ended up on one that faced a six-foot mirror across the aerobics area. There was a useless 2’x2’ window to look out, but all I could see was a bit of grey sky and part of a telephone pole that kept bouncing up and down with every step. So between the telephone pole and the expanding ring of sweat from my collar, there wasn’t much of a view. I had my U2 albums on shuffle, but I still couldn’t find my moment of Zen. My arms were awkward and useless; flopping around like those of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Finally, I called it quits after dragging my carcass 2.59 miles.

----------

After threatening with clouds most of the week, it finally rained today. It was freezing, so I figured it was perfect weather for coffee and studying blood disorders. Apparently, everyone else thought so too, as the coffee shop was packed! Outside, there was a truck with a dissolving snowman in the back. They must have been on their way back from somewhere up north. It looked kind of morbid—like one of Calvin’s snowmen from the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip, pock-marked from being hit by the rain.

----------

There was no line at my local Great Clips, so I decided to drop in. Not only did I get more attention than the usual 90-second hair trim, but I managed to learn my something new for the day. My stylist was commenting on my ear because I recently got an old piercing through the upper cartilage of my left ear (the helix) redone and she noticed that it is still healing. Somehow that progressed to informing me of where all of her piercings were (you really don’t want to know), and a lovely tale about her boyfriend. Apparently, he was sitting on the couch letting the cat chew on one his piercings when it pulled his nipple ring right off! I briefly entertained giving her a quick lecture on Pasturella multocida infections from cat bites, but refrained. So there you have it: if you have nipple piercings, you had better keep ‘em covered around the cat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should roll up an inspirational poster and take it with you to the gym. Then you'll always have a view. And I now feel much more educated about piercings. Thanks.

Kate said...

Sounds like a good way to end up being written about in someone else's blog!