Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Marching On

Exactly two weeks from now I will know where I’m going and what I will be doing for the next three years. As the date is approaching, I am finding myself becoming more excited about the changes to come. I guess that’s a good thing, since this whole process has been filled with so much anticipation and even some dread. I am feeling good about my list and think that I will be happy to wind up at any of the programs that I ranked.


There is always the possibility of not matching and having to scramble into an open spot, but at this point everything is out of my hands. Technically, the decision has already been made and a match has either been established or not (Allegedly, the computer program only takes a few hours to run.), so there’s really no point in worrying as I’m just now waiting to view the results. I feel really blessed to have had such support from my friends and family over the past few months.

----------

Yesterday I was talking to BDG (Blind Date Guy) who also has a lot going on as far as getting his career started—but in music, not medicine. He was saying something about being given the advice to be more proactive and set goals for himself for three months in the future. He said that you should then reevaluate those goals every three weeks and if your goals aren’t changing or being updated, then there’s something stagnating your progress and you need to reevaluate your situation.

Three months from now I want:

  1. To graduate.
  2. To be able to run 5 miles without stopping.
  3. To be out on my own again, be it renting/purchasing a place.
  4. To be updating this blog at least 10 times a month.


So there it is, now I guess it is my responsibility to make it all happen. Famous last words, but it seems like a good idea. Lately I just feel so passive, like I’m just waiting for everything to happen to me. Of course I’ll probably regret posting this, as now I have an audience for potential failures, but perhaps this is also an exercise about not basing my self esteem on the approval of others.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Goal setting is great but don't only do 90 day intervals, have one or two 1 year and 5 year goals too.

But hell, most people as young as you think of a goal as something that happens in basketball or hockey.

Your last paragraph was very telling. I am going to do a 7 part series over the next two weeks about the 7 decisions to success by a guy named Andy Andrews. You might get some ideas from his stuff.

Chris
Click here to see inside my head