Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The VIEW

Ok, so I confess: I was missing my Arizona blue skies. During my vacation week, my parents and I stayed up around Williams and explored the area. It had been too long since I had been to the Grand Canyon.


Remember that 5 mile running goal of mine? Well, the impetus behind that was that "The Phoenix" and I had a major hike in mind last June. Perhaps it was for our own good that we ended up canceling as when I looked over the edge, I realized just how difficult the trail would be. I'm now thinking that I'm going to need to be able to run 10 miles to be in shape for the canyon. A little weight training would be a good idea too, considering the heavy backpack I'll need to tote.


The PU's and I stuck to the rim trail, and despite not venturing down, the views were spectacular. We even caught a glimpse of 3 California Condors circling the canyon. They have a wingspan of 9 feet, and are nearly extinct. My father, despite years of birdwatching, had never glimpsed one before, so I was glad to share that experience with him. Unfortunately, I wasn't skilled enough to capture them on camera.

So, with summertime in mind I returned to the gym yesterday, and was shocked at just how deconditioned I've become. I haven't really gained any weight, but today I went for a run and barely slogged a mile. This is going to be a long, uphill battle, but maybe it is just what I need to avoid the winter doldrums.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's it. the next time I visit arizona, I'm going to the Grand Canyon.