Sunday, March 18, 2007

Alone in the Crowd

Last night I went out again with the coworkers. We started out late, so I figured there couldn't possibly be too much trouble as there wasn't enough time for people to get too intoxicated. Boy, was I wrong: they just drank faster! To make a long story short, the same girl ended up needing to sleep over at someone's house, but this time I made sure that it wasn't at my place.

There seems to be some sort of lack of distinction with them between the terms single and desperate. They seemed like they were bound and determined to shove me off on any nearby guy. First, there was a creepy flight attendant that didn't get my sense of humor. Then there was a guy that was extremely good-looking, but totally plastered. He was literally using the barstool and myself as crutches to keep from falling on the floor.

The other unfortunate thing about my coworkers is that they get really LOUD when they're drinking. They kept suggesting that I leave with this guy as he was, "like, totally hot." Unfortunately, drunk guy picked up on this and asked if he could come over. I said "no", and then as the bar was closing he kept just standing there like I was going to change my mind. Finally, he left and I got chastized for being too picky and was told that I was never going to meet anyone if I didn't "hook-up" with them, and that I could get to know him later! They all kept looking at me like I was crazy when I said that I don't believe in taking random strangers home.

Besides, I figure that if he wanted to get to know me at all, then he would have asked for my phone number or given me his. Clearly, he was just looking for someone to spend the night with.

I talked this over with my friend today and fortunately she agreed that sleeping with people is not a good way to get to know them. I thought that this was somewhat backwards, but last night I was clearly in the minority. Maybe I am just more conservative, but I don't get why these girls have such low standards. I don't know why there is such a disparity between myself and them as to what is appropriate behavior, but it is not something I am going to compromise on. Maybe I should just stop going out to bars with them, and only join them for activities that have an actual purpose, like dinner, poker, or bowling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

couldve been worse. they could have sang dont you wish your girlfriend was hot like me.

Chris said...

If you are in the minority, it is something to be proud of. Besides, sleeping with someone is not a recreational activity used for socialization, like a tennis club or running club.


Chris
My Blog