Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Half Full Glass

It appears that I have caught a nasty upper respiratory infection over the past week. Yesterday I am pretty sure I was swaying during rounds as I felt feverish and weak. Today I feel better, but I'm kind of raspy and my nose has been running constantly. I think I've lost about 3 lbs in mucus! I definitely cleaned out five or six of those tiny, wimpy hospital boxes of kleenex that were lying around the units. My hands are chapped too, as every time I sneeze or blow my nose, I reach for a pump of alcohol gel.

I feel bad as I am around a lot of really sick people right now. The last thing they need is a nasty cold. At the same time, if I go home, there's no one to come in for me. There are too many notes to write and orders to take care of for one intern to do by herself. No one's said anything to me about it, but I'm pretty sure it's obvious to everyone on the team and they're easing up on me. The attending has been picking only on the other intern... then again, maybe that's because I'm about 6 inches taller than him!

On the plus side, my sinus headache has completely disappeared.

No comments: