Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Bit of Bell Ringing

One of the nurses this morning said something about how she couldn't believe it was November 21st. Having had my coffee prior to rounding this morning, I quickly shot back, "I can't believe it's 2006!" And yeah, I was being a smartass, but I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. Many days I feel like I just got here. And yet there are signs that I've adapted: most days I am no longer consulting a map, and I have actually given someone else directions to get around town.

Given the time of year, some of you may be looking for a charity to make a contribution to. Or perhaps this is a daily challenge, as you sit around a room filled to the ceiling with Benjamins, thinking "I wish I could get rid of some of this cash."

Anyway, I just want to put in a quick plug for Heifer International. They help battle against hunger and create self-reliance for many impoverished families by providing them with livestock and training. You can contribute as much or as little as you want, and there's something rewarding about ordering something physical like a basket of chicks or tree seedlings to send to a family. I had never heard of this charity until Silk mentioned them in her blog one day, and I'm glad that she did.

I'm off to the grocery store. We're having a potluck on Thursday and I'm going to attempt to make my mother's mashed potatoes of buttery goodness. It will probably end up with me ruining her reputation as an excellent cook as my reproduction will be a mockery of the real thing. I guess I need one of those hand mixer thingy's as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one Grace to another:
I'll be praying for the mashed potatoes:)

~~Silk said...

When I read the first part of the paragraph, I was going to comment that "Heifer's great. And if you check their numbers, they are pretty conservative with the cash." Then I got to the credit. Thanks. I'm impressed that you remembered (I didn't).

However, the link is to blogspot.org, and it should be dot com. Dot org takes you to another world entirely. Maybe if you tell them to then click on "Sexwoman" eventually it'll get to me.

PS - try adding parsnips to your mashed potatoes sometime. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

hehehhe, good luck with the potatoes, I can never duplicate my grandma's cooking either. I CAN'T believe that it is 2006, and I'm NOT being a smartass. Time just seems to go by so fast!