Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Like Sands Through the Hourglass...

Work - Eat - Sleep
Work - Eat - Sleep
Work - Eat - Sleep

This is what I have become.

Rinse, Lather, and Repeat.

----------

There's something sick and wrong about awakening at 4:30 am. It's not like there are cows that need milking! The past 10 days or so have been a blur of ankles and elbows. There are casts to set, dressings to change, and endless labs to check. No matter how helpful I try to be it isn't quick enough. I seem to spend much of my day climbing up and down nondescript stairwells, seemingly making no progress. It's almost like being stuck in an M.C. Escher painting. Blah. Much of my day is spent gathering supplies and hauling them from here to there.

This is coming to an end soon. Just a few days left and I can stop being a dysfunctional cog in a machine I want no part of. I have to wonder what the point is in scurrying around like mad, when there's never any progress being made. Blame rolls downhill and I am at the bottom. I have a good support system, but I find myself being short with friends and family on the phone. The other interns and I just console each other with ridiculous stories of what we have been chewed out for, and somehow the inappropriate laughter helps.

This morning we came in to find casualties of our first snowmobile trauma of the season. Other than that, the day was unremarkable. I don't want to sleep because that will just bring tomorrow more quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like me, just before the winter break, when I was working 60+ hours and driving back and forth at midnight, wondering if I was as wide awake as I felt.

Chris said...

Did you catch last night's Scrub's musical? Alexis and I thought of you while it was going on! Take any stool samples today? LOL

Speak of shit flowing downhill....maybe that was the point of playing the video game "Donkey Kong"....jump....jump....jump

Chris
My Blog