Friday, April 21, 2006

Philadelphia, part 1


I made it in ok last evening. You know what's funnier than driving a Chevy Aveo around town? Driving a sea-foam green Chevy Aveo around town!!! I swear I have a bridesmaid's dress the exact same color in the closet of my old bedroom at my parent's home... and no, I will NEVER wear it again! At least I didn't have to worry about someone stealing my car!


This morning I drove an hour away to see an Ansel Adams exhibit at a museum. I've always liked his work, and I saw a few scenes that I had never seen before. One featured the arch of a rainbow across a waterfall that was strange to see in black and white, and in another he captured a black sun--I can't currently remember if that is a solar eclipse or a lunar eclipse. There was also a portrait of an old woman looking out from behind a screened door that I really liked because of the way that both she and the grid of the screen were perfectly focused.

After that, I went downtown to the Mütter Museum, which features an anatomical collection that is pretty extensive. I didn't see the signs that no cameras or videocameras were allowed until I was in the second room, so here's a bootleg shot for you:

Luckily for you, I have no shots of the colon from a patient with Hirschsprung's disease that contained over 40 lbs of feces when he expired! Also featured were shrunken heads, various fetuses with congenital anomalies, specimens taken from John Wilkes Booth and Grover Cleveland, etc.

For dinner, I had ate at Bookbinder's at the recommendation of a friend. It was pricey, so I stuck with New England clam chowder, a salad, and a glass of wine.


Not too much else to report. I hope to spend more time roaming around town tomorrow after my exam.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Man that is one hot car! That color looks like a color resulting from a bad laundry accident!

40 lbs of feces, huh? I think that person was full of crap! That must have been an interesting visit. Mortimer went to that museum last year too and he really enjoyed it like you did.

I would love to see the Ansel Adams exhibit too. We don't get a lot of big name exhibits here in Knoxville.



Chris
My Blog