Thursday, January 22, 2009

2008 Reading List

Continuing in my quest to read less and less each year:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
This book was pretty engaging, an interesting account of the author's life in Afghanistan.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
An account of a year's worth of sustaining a family by only buying locally, growing fruits/vegetables, and harvesting poultry. Is this really possible? Probably not for your average working family, although it did make me think more about supporting my local economy.

This one had been in my reading pile for a long time, but I had to read it before going to see "21". Still can't seem to win at poker.

If 1,000 monkeys typing on 1,000 typewriters can randomly peck out "War and Peace", this is what 10 crackpots armed with macbooks and endless coffee can do. Ridiculously goofy.

I don't remember this one too well, but I think that it did make me smile.

My mother sent me this one. It's the story of one guy's progression through residency. He struggles to find balance between family life and work. A lot more sunny perspective than "House of God".

The World Without Us - Alan Weisman
If you suffer from insomnia, this one's for you. There were some interesting points along the way, but so slow and painful.

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
Haven't seen the movie. I read this soon after returning from Alaska. Kind of a bizarre story, and tragic to die so close to aid under the delusion of a wilderness adventure. Wondered if the guy wasn't an undiagnosed schizophrenic.

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Joined a book club, read the book, then missed the meeting (oops). I have another book of his sitting on my shelf, but this one was kind of weird. I think I missed the romance behind the protagonist's delusion that if he could seduce one widow, he was fated to wait out the marriage of his one true love and get the girl in the end. Also, enemas? Not an intimacy to be shared between lovers! Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never keep track of the books I read. Maybe I'll do that this year.