Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Step Away from the Computer

If you are taking the time to read this, I hope that you have already taken the time to vote today. Ok, it may be for selfish reasons, but I hope that most Americans are out there voting and glued to the television today-- that way they're not coming into the Emergency Department with their sore throats and belly pain of six months that must be fixed post-haste (come in all you want after midnight tonight!).

We don't have televisions in our department. I think it would be interesting to do a survey of departments across the country and see if there's any spike in visits at the places that do equip each room with a TV on days like today.

Like a lot of people, I'm sick of this two-year marathon of campaigning, but at least I made a decision at the end of it all. Part of me is secretly hoping that my candidate loses, so if things don't turn around, I can continue with my shrug and "Don't look at me, I didn't vote for him!" mutterings.

Sadly, I went to my local Starbucks to claim my free cup of election-day coffee, only to discover that they had gone out of business, and I refuse to go to the ones downtown where you have to pay for parking!

This morning, all I had to do (after finding my unmarked, unadvertised voting site) was state my name and sign somewhat similarly to the old signature they had on file. No goverment ID, no recitation of a DOB or SSN, nothing. Maybe someday we can actually learn how to tally votes without any questions of validity, but unless there's a landslide today, I predict weeks of arguing to follow.

1 comment:

Chris said...

We have ID cards here and you have to sign a register. What the DON'T have here are the cute "I voted" stickers. I always found those to be great for getting the vote out when we lived in Florida. But then again....those idiots also couldn't operate a simple punch ballot.