Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunday, Sweaty Sunday

Wow. Just when I start to feel down on myself and that I'm not making any progress at the gym, a complete stranger goes and rearranges my whole perspective:

After finishing my run on the treadmill this afternoon, I headed down to the locker room to clean up. I was trying my best not to make direct eye contact with the rather large-volume naked woman seated on the bench by my locker when she made the comment "You look like you had a good workout."

I was thinking to myself: Thanks a lot lady... I know I smell, but I'm here to shower up and take care of that when she went on.

"I just don't feel like I get a good workout in the pool."

Basically, she wanted to know exactly what my workout routine is, and indirectly complimented me by including me with everyone else upstairs who she described as being so physically fit that she did not want to workout around them.

So I told her my tale of building up to 30 minutes a day of cardio on an elliptical machine and losing 30 lbs over several months a few years back, and that now I'm running on a treadmill every other day and throwing in some weight training here and there. I don't know how impressed she was, but she did sound like she might be willing to give it a try. I told her I could sympathize with her not feeling very self-confident and suggested workout times when the gym tended to be less busy.

Now if you were to ask me, I think I am probably the person with the least amount of self-confidence at the gym. I wear headphones so that I don't have to talk to anyone. My outfits don't match my shoes, I don't wear perfume, and any makeup is a remnant from earlier in the day. I am nowhere near a size 6. Thanks to my fair complexion and fine hair, I tend to get very red-faced and my sweaty hair plasters to my scalp in quite a non-sexy manner. If a member of the opposite sex looks my way, it usually turns out that I'm just obstructing the view of their plastic-enhanced girlfriend. And should one happen to meet my eye, I always reflexively look away immediately, too bashful to smile.

But there you have it: here I am agonizing about cellulite, stretch marks, and the 4 lbs I picked up over the holidays and some woman wants to emulate me. Hrmph.

No comments: